As the busiest part of the Christmas shopping season approaches, consumers are relying more than ever on their mobile phones to find the best deals for their gifts – and shop on the go.
To understand this shift in how consumers are using their phones to shop and buy this Christmas, Say Media conducted an in-depth custom survey of over 1200 smartphone owners in partnership with comScore.
Among the findings were that 1 in 3 smartphone owners use their device while shopping, while 44% have purchased goods and services directly from their phone.
Those aged 18 to 24 were particularly open to shopping from mobile devices.
Other highlights from the research:
1 in 3 smartphone owners use their device when shopping:
– 61% have researched products in the past 6 months
– 37% have validated prices at the point of sale
– 45% use mobile phones to check prices in store
Christmas is the season for mobile transactions:
– 44% have purchased goods/services through a mobile phone
– 58% of 18 to 24 year olds have purchased goods/services
– 56% of “tech geeks” have purchased goods or services through a phone
– 35% have paid for tickets for concerts, movies or events
– Nearly half of respondents redeemed coupons or special offers on a mobile device
18 to 24 year olds are more likely to use mobile in purchase process:
– 53% used a mobile app to make payments
– 1 in 5 used mobile phone for street parking in past month
– 35% purchased a ticket (concert, movie) on their phone last month
– 58% pay bills through a mobile device